Other Providers & Services

Additional services may be available to you outside of the public healthcare system to support your child’s feeding difficulties. Here are a list of resources when searching for privately funded healthcare providers.

For funding, you may wish to contact Family Support for Children with Disabilities (FSCD) to see if you are eligible. They may be contacted at: www.alberta.ca/fscd

Private healthcare agencies who provide eating, feeding, and swallowing services may also exist in your area. Sometimes these services are offered by agencies for children with special needs.

Private healthcare providers can also be found by going to the following websites:

Additional resources may be available through:

Health Link: call 811

Introducing Yourself to Your Feeding Therapy Team

When looking for a professional to partner with in your child’s feeding journey, it is important to understand that they have the knowledge to support you and your child. As well, understanding their philosophy and approach to feeding therapy will help you to determine if they are a good fit for your family. Once you have found a few options, here are a list of commonly asked questions that may assist you:

Questions to ask speech-language pathologists and occupational therapists:

  • Do you have pediatric experience with feeding and for which age group?
  • How long have you been supporting children with feeding struggles?
  • How do you describe your approach to feeding therapy? 
  • What treatment approaches are you experienced in (e.g. SOS, Ellyn Satter, Marsha Dunn Klein)?
  • Do you have experience addressing oral motor issues or do you have someone you can consult?
  • How will you complete an assessment or gather information to understand the nature of the feeding struggle?
  • How do you set goals and how do you measure outcomes?
  • What is the parent role in services – what are they expected to do?
  • What is the cost for the service (screening, intake, assessment, treatment, documentation)?
  • How do you communicate with other providers and is there a fee for this?

Questions to ask a registered dietitian if you are accessing nutrition support:

  • Do you provide pediatric nutrition care?
  • Do you have experience working with children with feeding difficulties?
  • Do you have experience working with children who are tube fed?
  • Do you have dietitians that you can refer to or consult with if feeding difficulties are too complex?